Legal Minute: Alimony in Nevada
Nevada does not have a statute that tells us how to calculate an alimony award in the event of divorce. Here’s what our statute tells us:
- Alimony ceases in the event of death or remarriage of either spouse.
- The court will consider the financial position of each spouse.
- The court will consider the nature and value of the property.
- The separate contributions made to jointly held property.
- The duration of the marriage.
- Income, earning capacity, age and health of either spouse.
- Standard of living during the marriage.
- Career before marriage of the spouse who would receive the alimony.
- The existence of specialized training or education attained by each spouse during the marriage.
- The contribution of either spouse as a home maker.
- Financial awards granted by the court.
- Physical condition of each party.